.

.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

No More "Second Sock" Syndrome

If you know anything about knitting and if one of the reasons you want to knit is to make socks...like me...you are probably familiar with the term "Second Sock Syndrome". Its where you make a sock and you are SO tired of making that first sock that you don't want to bother making another one. I have experienced it...and since I want very much to be a prolific, if possible, sock knitter, I need to get past that problem.

My ultimate goal is to be able to make 2 socks at a time on 2 circs. But until I feel more comfortable with simply making a sock, I needed to find another, simpler way to solve the problem. So I did.

I started a new pair of socks (using the Baby Socks pattern from Kate Atherley) for my granddaughter out of some gorgeous Koigu KPPPM I have had sitting in my stash for ages and a pair of size 2 lace circs. Here I have finished a cuff...



Now, like everyone else, I am eager to start working on the heel flap....but NO...don't do it.

Either get out another set of circs the same size, or transfer this sock to some waste yarn and cast on a new sock.....


.....and start working on THAT cuff. Then when you finish, start the heel flap. When you finish that, go back to the first sock and make the heel flap on that one. Just keep going back and forth from each sock and when you are done, you will have 2 complete socks at practically the same time. No more Second Sock Syndrome. So simple, I wish I had done it before.

Of course, you have to have the willpower to stop that first sock at the end of the cuff. And it does help to have 2 pair of the same size circ. But if you plan on seriously knitting socks. you really should have 2 pair of every size you might need for them. And I have faith in you. ;) Eventually, I will come back with my attempt as making 2 socks on one circ....and hope I am successful.

As ever,

I am Kneedled

No comments: